Thursday, December 22, 2011

The God debate

       So as we approach Christmas (only three days away now!) I wanted to share with you all concerning a conversation over that wonderful social networking tool, Facebook, I had with a self-professed atheist.
A friend of mine who I disagree with politically but share a faith and many wonderful experiences working in Residence Life, posted on his Facebook wall about the irony of self-professed atheists celebrating with friends and family on December 25 giving gifts etc. Of course, one of his friends, we'll call her Sally, posted an acerbic reply complaining about the original post saying it was quite 'mean'. To be fair the original post was a bit satirical and poking at the 'so-called' atheists, but it was nothing in my mind to be bent out of shape about. Nevertheless it seemed to do as much and being the blockhead I am, I decided to get involved. So after several long posts of my own and successive biting replies from Sally I asked her some questions. She had used the terms facts, history, and progress in her responses and I asked her to define what she meant by them. Sally to my sorrow decline for she could tell that I would not take her responses seriously or ever really consider that they might be true.
       Of course this does not give you the whole conversation, but it played out exactly as I predicted. I was about absolutely sure that she would not respond to my questions and I predicted that she would continue in the same vein, claiming meanness and intolerance, never making a cohesive case for her side of the argument. Somehow, I was not surprised. It seems to me that most people who claim there is no God, do not have a cohesive understanding of why they believe as they do nor do they possess a rational world view. Of course, this is a generalization, but it seems to me that it is true as such. I wish that such persons were willing to enter into a discussion, yet there is I think a fear of not being able to hold their own or to acknowledge they might actually be wrong. As a God-fearing Catholic Christian, if I am wrong, then I have still attempted to live a noble life... failing often as the case may be, but still striving. I have no fear of being wrong, in fact, I know I have placed my eggs in the right basket for Christianity is not a blind leap of faith, but a succession of reasonable premises and conclusions. It is cohesive, rational, and it allows one to enter into conversations and discussions without reservation.



http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=532641087334&id=150300599&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

No comments:

Post a Comment